I really don't like the hype over valentine's day. I find it to be annoying. It's like all the couples in the world are screaming out to the singles "Hey! It's the day to spend with your sweetheart! Don't you wish you had one?"
Ok, so it's not that bad. I think Valentines day can be really sweet for couples, a fun day to do special things for each other and celebrate their relationship. That part doesn't bother me, even though I think people who argue and tear each other down all year except on their birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, anniversaries, and Valentine's day don't have much to celebrate on Valentine's day. They might be better off just skipping it.
Then there are the people that have the mindset of "every day is Valentine's Day!!!" (Imagine the syrupy sweet voice and all the little hearts floating in the air, harp music in the background.) "We love each other soo much that we surprise each other with wonderful gifts and sweet little notes all the time, and we never, ever disagree!" Those people must be: (1) really rich to afford nice gifts alll the time, (2) not have much going on in their lives to have to work through together, or (3) newlyweds. Newlyweds since about ten minutes ago.
Other people think "Valentine's Day? Why???"
There's another set of people that we don't hear from as much. They are the people who do love each other, treat each other like they love each other, work through the tough times together, know that every day together is a gift, and still recognize that Valentine's Day is a great opportunity to celebrate their relationship, so they do if they want to, or they just don't. Yeah! They have the right idea.
Have you noticed that one of the biggest topics on the internet right now is 'How to not MESS UP Valentine's Day' ?
Seriously?
Most of them seem to be geared toward guys. "Guys, read this to know how to not make your girlfriend or wife mad at you for the gift that you give her!!!" "Find the perfect gift that she'll love you for!" Sounds like pretty shallow love to me. When you have to worry about getting the right gift to celebrate your relationship or else your girl will be mad at you, you don't have much to celebrate. Yeah, there are the guys out there who will rush to the dollar store at the last minute and get a gift that means absolutely nothing to either him or her, and maybe they need to read those articles...but that's not the point...
It's really not Valentine's Day that I mind. It's the way people treat it.
However, I do think that with all the holidays our nation has, we should be able to get an actual holiday in honor of singles. Maybe there is one. I haven't heard of it if there is. Anyway, it would be a day when all of us singles could give our brilliant advice to couples and critique them with our great wisdom that we haven't gained from being in a relationship...kinda like me writing this right now, in criticism of couples, when I'm single, and I wouldn't really know, having never been in their shoes...But I think of it like this - couples are lost in a maze, and singles are watching them from where they can see the whole maze, so we can tell them where to go. So we singles help couples find their way through life. They need us. And we're happy to help.
haha!! Love it Kayla!! I totally agree with you! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteThat's great Kayla!
ReplyDeleteThanks :)
ReplyDeleteyes I can see that point of view. I do believe when you really care for someone they should feel that almost everyday is special to them. It is just 14th of Feb, Christmas, birthday or anniversary. Sure it is nice to do something extra special. But just being with them and learning new things and going through life together should feel like a blessing. Especially those who are married. Does not scripture say its a blessings by God for a guy to have a woman to be his wife.
ReplyDeleteTrue! I agree.
ReplyDelete